Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bibere: Luisi, Barbera D'Asti, 2010

Bibere is an occasional column in which my girlfriend and I will independently taste a wine, make notes on it, and then review the wine. If you have tried the wine, please comment below with your thoughts. 

Tonight we were in the mood for a spicy Italian wine. We recently had a Barbera we liked at Tavern. Since BevMo is currently in the midst of one of its 5 cent wine sales, we decided to look for one there. We found the 2010 Luisi Barbera D'Asti ($17.04 for two).



Edie's notes: Lightly scented with pomegranate and pine needles. Dark, red apple color. Light texture and not very dry.  Red apple skins and pomegranate taste with basil and oregano. Simple but enjoyable.



My notes: Earthy and sweet nose. Some berries on the palate. Restrained palate without too much fruit. Some sort of spice which I couldn't quite describe. Taste is drier than the smell. Medium, lingering finish. Would pair well with fatty meats.

Looking back on Edie's notes, I think she got the pomegranate and oregano which I had trouble describing. I'll have to try a few more Barberas, but as far as Italian varietals, I so far prefer it to Chianti but would rather have a Montepulciano. From what I understand, a Barbera is usually a bit fruitier than this one.  Like many wines I've tried from BevMo's 5 cent sale, I think this was decent for the price but not spectacular.




No comments:

Post a Comment