Thursday, October 4, 2012

Tea-Scented Buttermilk Panna Cotta

Besides ice cream, one of my favorite desserts is panna cotta. Italian for cooked cream, it is, like ice cream, very simple but can be used as a blank canvas for many flavor and texture variations. I used this recipe as my starting point and added tea leaves for flavor instead of vanilla bean. The tea is roobios bourbon from Chado Tea Room. 

Ingredients Assembled

Put the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar and tea leaves.


Meanwhile, add the gelatin to a bit of cold water in a mixing bowl. 


Just before the cream boils, stir the mixture into the bowl with the gelatin. Also stir in the buttermilk.


Strain through a fine sieve into another bowl to remove the tea leaves. I was using very fine tea leaves and some got through the sieve and ended in the final product, but they did detract from the taste.


Pour into ramekins, cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator to harden for several hours. 


I suggest serving the panna cotta with whatever fruit is in season. I decided to use fresh peaches and sauteed figs. 


Thinly slice the peach and dice the figs into quarters.


Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and quickly saute the figs. 


To remove the panna cotta from the ramekins, briefly place into a shallow dish with warm water. Do not leave them too long or the panna cotta will melt.


Turn upside and put on a plate with whatever fruit you are using. I also added a drizzle of homey.


I thought this turned out decently. I was hoping the red tea I used would give it a deeper red color and  that the tea flavor would have been a little stronger. Still very good with the fruit. The peach was really good. Its nearly the end of stone fruit season, so get them while you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment